Saskatoon Cycles October 2017 newsletter
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” overlay_opacity=”0.5″ border_style=”solid”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” center_content=”no” last=”no” min_height=”” hover_type=”none” link=””][fusion_text]
Upcoming Events in Saskatoon
- That’s a wrap! Our Bike Valet has come to a close for the year. Thanks again to our community supporters: City of Saskatoon, Astro Towing, and Bruce’s Cycle Works for their generous sponsorship, and thanks to all our volunteers who helped out over the summer. We look forward to celebrating with you at tonight’s volunteer appreciation party!
- GO Slow Roll is back with the fan favourite Skulls ride on October 13th. Check out the facebook event for all the details.
- The Fatlanders Fat Tire Brigade is producing “Well Groomed – A Fat Bike FUNraiser” on October 20th at Lucky Bastard Distillery. This event aims to raise money for winter fat bike trail grooming equipment. Food will be provided by The Saskatoon Club, music by Robby-B and a silent auction with items based on the themes of good grooming (such as dog grooming, lawn care, spa packages, etc) and winter recreation from such businesses as Nipika Mountain Resort, The Bike Doctor, Bruce’s Cycle Works, Doug Spoke n’ Sport, Bike Universe, Weedman, Freedom Functional Fitness, Float Now, Salon Grea, Escape Sports, Outtabounds, Outter Limits, and more! You won’t want to miss this great community event.
- Time is running out to get your raffle tickets. Enter to win some amazing prizes through the Saskatoon Cycles 2017 Fundraising Raffle. Tickets available for sale through Saskatoon Cycles board members or at the Bike Valet at this summer’s festivals. The draw will be at our AGM on November 15 at the Riverside Tennis and Badminton Club at 7pm. We are so very grateful to our prize sponsors Biktrix, MEC, Velo Quebec, Congress, Honey Bun Café, Citizen Café, and 9 Mile Legacy.
- With fall approaching, it is time to start thinking about our Annual General Meeting on November 15th. Whether you are interested in letting your name stand for the Board of Directors, or to sit on one of our committees, we would love to have you put your passion for cycling to work! We also need volunteers to make the evening run smoothly. Please contact Cathy if you can help out.
- Ice Cycle 2.0! Saskatoon Cycles has received a grant from the City Environment Department to organize and deliver several exciting new winter cycling initiatives for the upcoming winter. We require a few volunteers to move these events forward. Email Cathy for more information.
- LiveableYXE is laying the groundwork for next year’s Open Streets event, where streets are temporarily closed to automobile traffic to favour walking, jogging, bicycling, dancing, yoga, or other social activities. Gil Penalosa does a pretty solid job of capturing the spirit: “People traffic replaces car traffic, and the streets become ‘paved parks’ where people of all ages, abilities, and social, economic, or ethnic backgrounds can come out and improve their mental, physical, and emotional health.” If you are interested in getting involved, please contact Brodie.
Local Cycling News
- Our co-chair PJ Bell is moving to Vancouver to pursue an exciting job opportunity as an Active Transportation Planner with Urban Systems. Thank you for all your contributions to Saskatoon Cycles, PJ. We wish you all the best!
- Saskatoon Cycles and Tourism Saskatoon are joining forces to make a bid for the International Winter Cycling Federation Conference in 2019. The 2018 event takes place in Moscow. The results will come out in January – fingers crossed!
- We are proud to support the Saskatoon Police Service’s new initiative #GetMyBikeBack to combat and protect against bicycle theft. You can download the SPS Mobile App to record your bike’s serial number and other identifying information!
- Are there issues on your commute? Please contact the City if you have any concerns about the infrastructure that you find on your route. Feedback can be sent to email@example.com
- Did you know you can submit a cycling event for the Saskatoon Cycles website calendar?