About Saskatoon Cycles
Comfortable cycling for everyone of all ages and abilities!
Saskatoon Cycles advocates for a Saskatoon where cycling is a viable, year-round mode of transportation that is safe, convenient, and comfortable for all ages, confidence levels and abilities.
- Infrastructure – A safe, convenient, comfortable and well maintained cycling network throughout the city that allows cyclists of all ages to go from every neighbourhood to key destinations
- Ridership – Educate, encourage, and promote cycling so more people choose bicycles as a convenient and safe transportation option year round.
- Culture – Educate, encourage, and promote diversity in ridership with respectful inclusion of all modes of transportation.
Saskatoon Cycles envisions a future which includes
- a safe, convenient, comfortable and well maintained cycling network throughout the city that allows cyclists to go from every neighbourhood to key destinations
- cycling networks that have increased the efficiency of all modes of transportation
- residents of all ages safely, conveniently, and comfortably cycling year-round
- more cyclists using the cycling network every year
- respect and appreciation among users of all modes of transportation
- all transportation modes receiving balanced allocations of policy, financial and human resources
- broad recognition that cycling stimulates and enriches a healthy, economically vibrant, and creative city
- cyclists from all walks of life are seen everywhere in the city
- equity-deserving groups well represented as riders
How we’re funded
We rely on our members’ donations of time and money, the Bike Valet service fees, our Friends of Cycling program, City of Saskatoon funding to run specific activities such as #BYXE Week, and corporate and foundation grants for other activities. We do not receive any provincial funding.
How we got started
In 2010, a small group of avid, community minded, cyclists were meeting monthly at the Mendel Art Gallery to discuss how to make Saskatoon a more bike-friendly community. On October 26, 2010, they established a non-profit membership corporation called Saskatoon Cycles. And here we are today!
We are a member of Vélo Canada Bikes
Vélo Canada Bikes is a dynamic organization providing a strong national voice for everyday cycling in Canada. They envision a Canada where people of all ages and abilities can cycle safely, conveniently, and enjoyably to/from/within any community in the country. You can read more about Velo Canada Bikes at www.velocanadabikes.org