Saskatoon Cycles News
- Thanks to our great volunteers (above) for the pack up at Jazz Festival. You are the greatest! Also thanks to Astro Towing who brings our trailer to and from all festivals. Are you curious about the number of bikes parked during the festival? Check out the stats below.
- After our presentation to the City on June 20th regarding the downtown cycling network, the following email was received from Danae Balogun, Active Transportation Program Manager: “Thank you for taking the time yesterday to speak at committee. Your presentation was excellent! Please also extend our thanks to Saskatoon Cycles for your continued support of the AAA cycling network. We recognize all the hard work your organization put into producing the postcards and obtaining 600+ positive messages about the AAA cycling network from people all over Saskatoon! Once we’ve had a chance to debrief from yesterday, I will provide you with an update on the next steps. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Thanks again!” Great news 🙂
- Are you interested in taking a weekend-long course by Can Bike for instructing people to ride a bike safely? There is no planned date or cost at this time. We are just surveying members to see if it would be worthwhile to offer this course in our community. Once certified, cyclists would be hired to work on a part-time basis instructing courses for Saskatoon Cycles. Please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do you have a cycling traffic report? Send your cycling commute reports and pictures via twitter to @LeishaCBC or call 306-956-7444. Eg “Commute along the MVA from Silverwood to downtown is fast and efficient. No hold ups. Watch for goose pooh!”
Upcoming Events and Volunteer Opportunities
- July 17-22: We are seeking Bike Valet volunteers for Taste of Saskatchewan. To sign-up as a volunteer or for more information, please contact our Bike Valet Coordinator, Felipe at email@example.com. Plus, check out these great banners from the School of Rehabilitation Sciences and Sask Physio Association!
- LiveableYXE is laying the groundwork for next year’s Open Streets event, where streets are temporarily closed to automobile traffic to favour walking, jogging, bicycling, dancing, yoga, or other social activities. Gil Penalosa does a pretty solid job of capturing the spirit: “People traffic replaces car traffic, and the streets become ‘paved parks’ where people of all ages, abilities, and social, economic, or ethnic backgrounds can come out and improve their mental, physical, and emotional health.” If you are interested in getting involved, please contact Brodie.
- Slow Roll volunteers are needed. If you are willing to lead or to help organize these monthly community rides to different parts of the city with other enthusiastic cyclists, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local Cycling News
- Do you struggle with keeping your bicycle clean throughout the seasons? Check out this creation by local year-round cyclist, Alex.
- #GetMyBikeBack: Please help the Saskatoon Police Service stop the epidemic of bike theft in this city. Register your bike at saskatoonpolice.ca
- Are there issues on your commute? Please contact the City if you have any concerns about the infrastructure that you find on your route. Feedback and/or words of affirmation can be sent to email@example.com
- Did you know you can submit a cycling event for the Saskatoon Cycles website calendar?