[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” overlay_opacity=”0.5″ border_style=”solid”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” center_content=”no” last=”no” min_height=”” hover_type=”none” link=””][fusion_text]
Saskatoon Cycles News
- Board member Shannon recently travelled to Quebec to take part in the Go Bike Montreal Festival, along with 25,000 other enthusiastic cyclists of all ages and abilities (see photo above). Her mother won this incredible prize package from the Saskatoon Cycles raffle we held last fall.
- On May 26th, 40 cyclists participated in our Bike the Moveable Feast event. Participants enjoyed a unique cycling excursion of learning about our community linkages (history, farming, insects, newcomers, family, climate change, mental health, and nature) and several stops included food. The photo below showcases the salads we ate at Chain Reaction Urban Farm, courtesy of Rachel and Jared Regier.
- June 20th – City Council Governance and Priorities meeting. At 1 pm there will be presentations on the downtown cycling network as well as info presented on the Bus Rapid Transit. Interested groups or individuals who register to speak a day or two ahead will present. In August (date to be determined ) a meeting will be held to make a decision. Thank you for the cards that you filed out stating your support for the downtown cycling network. They have been taken to the ward councillors each week. Letters of support from the Saskatchewan Physiotherapy Association and the Saskatchewan Medical Association have been sent to the Mayor and Councillors.
- Are you interested in taking a weekend-long course by Can Bike for instructing people to ride a bike safely? There is no planned date or cost at this time. We are just surveying members to see if it would be worthwhile to offer this course in our community. Once certified, cyclists would be hired to work on a part-time basis instructing courses for Saskatoon Cycles. Please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do you have a cycling traffic report? Send your cycling commute reports and pictures via twitter to @LeishaCBC or call 306-956-7444. Eg “Commute along the MVA from Silverwood to downtown is fast and efficient. No hold ups. Watch for goose pooh!”
- Thanks to Astro Towing for bringing the bike valet to the Children’s Festival. You are the greatest!
Upcoming Events and Volunteer Opportunities
- June 24 – Bring your family to Bike to Market Day at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market from 10 am to 1 pm.
- Bike Valet season is here! Are you interested in helping out? To sign-up as a volunteer or for more information, please contact our Bike Valet Coordinator, Felipe at email@example.com. Pictured below are Felipe and Blaine, with one of our newest volunteers, Erin, who recently enjoyed a bike valet shift at the Children’s Festival.
- LiveableYXE is laying the groundwork for next year’s Open Streets event, where streets are temporarily closed to automobile traffic to favour walking, jogging, bicycling, dancing, yoga, or other social activities. Gil Penalosa does a pretty solid job of capturing the spirit: “People traffic replaces car traffic, and the streets become ‘paved parks’ where people of all ages, abilities, and social, economic, or ethnic backgrounds can come out and improve their mental, physical, and emotional health.” If you are interested in getting involved, please contact Brodie.
- Slow Roll volunteers are needed. If you are willing to lead or to help organize these monthly community rides to different parts of the city with other enthusiastic cyclists, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local Cycling News
- Have you seen this multi-use trail along the railway from Avenues D through W? Give us a shout if you have a favourite cycling path or know of any hidden gems in the city
- #GetMyBikeBack: Please help the Saskatoon Police Service stop the epidemic of bike theft in this city. Register your bike at saskatoonpolice.ca
- Are there issues on your commute? Please contact the City if you have any concerns about the infrastructure that you find on your route. Feedback and/or words of affirmation can be sent to email@example.com
- Did you know you can submit a cycling event for the Saskatoon Cycles website calendar?
National/International Cycling News
- Read: Why New Bike Lanes Are Good For Everyone — Yes, Even Drivers
- Read: Biking to Work, Arriving in Style