Saskatoon Cycles July 2017 Newsletter
Upcoming Events in Saskatoon
- This summer’s Bike Valet is off to a successful start! To see the full list of events, please visit our website . We even park paddles and life jackets! Thanks to all of our volunteers to have given of their time and energy so far.
- Enter to win some amazing prizes through the Saskatoon Cycles 2017 Fundraising Raffle. Tickets available for sale through Saskatoon Cycles board members or at the Bike Valet at this summer’s festivals. The draw will be at our AGM on November 15.
- The Bike Valet always needs volunteers for Saskatoon’s fun summer! Let us know if you’d like to help out!
Local Cycling News
- Recently a trans-Canada cyclist stopped into Saskatoon to have a conversation about cycling advocacy. Hailey Gish is a student in urban studies at U of C. She is conducting research for a course project that explores how cycling advocates from bike cooperatives across Canada encourage bike lane development within their local municipalities, and how these practices can contribute to sustainable community development. Lee Smith and Cathy Watts enjoyed a stimulating conversation at D’Lish on June 9. We are looking forward to her final report as she collects information across the country. Good luck Hailey!
- We are proud to support the Saskatoon Police Service’s new initiative #GetMyBikeBack to combat and protect against bicycle theft. You can download the SPS Mobile App to record your bike’s serial number and other identifying information!
- Saskatoon Cycles is taking the bike bylaw policy review to the City’s Standing Policy Committee for Active Transportation on August 15th. Big thanks to Ben Rolleston and Scott Silver for all of their work, and thanks to the members who attended the open house to provide feedback.
- Did you know you can submit a cycling event for the Saskatoon Cycles website calendar?
National Cycling News
- Friendly reminder to register your bicycle serial number with the local police or if you’re lucky enough to find it in a pawn shop it may be a pricey reunion!