[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” overlay_opacity=”0.5″ border_style=”solid”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” center_content=”no” last=”no” min_height=”” hover_type=”none” link=””][fusion_text]
Annual General Meeting
- Thank you to everyone who joined us November 15th for our AGM. Your 2017-2018 Board of Directors are Brodie Thompson, Lee Smith, Jerome Nicol, Baxter Kawula, Jared Stephenson, Ingrid Larson, Cathy Watts, Wendy Quinton, Shannon Richards and John Dosman.
- Ingrid Larson presented “A Vision for a Bike Friendly Canada”. Ingrid is our Saskatchewan representative for Canada Bikes, a national advocacy group for promoting safe cycling. Canada Bikes recently launched a House of Commons e-petition in support of Courtney-Alberni MP Gordon Johns’ Private Members Bill C312 asking that the federal government implement a national cycling strategy. Please take a moment to sign the petition today
- Special thanks to our volunteer Jim Spinney who has been the steward of our finances for the past four years and is going to turn the reins over to our new Treasurer, Baxter Kawula.
- Vanessa Loewen was awarded a Saskatoon Cycles t-shirt to acknowledge her contributions to encourage 70 students at James Alexander School to ride their bikes to school for a week. We are always so pleased to celebrate the efforts that are made to promote cycling in Saskatoon.
- After several months of work from the raffle committee and many wonderful volunteers, we were able to raise approximately $7000 for Saskatoon Cycles. Congratulations to all of the winners!
– Roger Isbister – Biktrix Bike
– Michelle MacAulay – Go Bike Montreal Package
– Trevor Gosselin – MEC Gift Certificate
– M. Craig Campbell – Congress Beer House Gift Card/9 Mile 2 L. Growler & Gift Card /Honey Bun Cafe Gift Card
– Steve Pisio – Congress Beer House Gift Card/Rook & Raven Gift Card/Citizen Cafe – 1 lb of coffee and Gift Card
Upcoming Events in Saskatoon
- Bike Valet January 18-20, 2018 – As part of our grant from the City that we have received for the Winter City Strategy, we will be providing a bike valet in front of the Refinery for January 18-20 from 7pm-10:30pm. We will be offering an honorarium for two people to set up and run this service. Contact Saskatoon Cycles if you are interested.
- Join us January 19th for the musical and spoken word performance, “SPIN by Evalyn Parry”, at the Refinery as part of Winteruption. There is a special reception prior to this event for Saskatoon Cycles with dessert and hot drinks from Calories. The bike valet will be available. Tickets will be held using the promo code “spin” until November 30th. Contact the Broadway Theatre to reserve yours today!
- January 20 – Winter workshop in partnership with the Bike Doctor from 1-3 pm on 11th street. Volunteers are needed to help participants learn about and try winter cycling. You would bring your winterized bike and be willing to show interested participants some tips to make cycling in the winter a great experience.
- February 12-16 – Meet in the morning on your way to work from 7:45-8:30 am at a central location to have coffee and conversation outdoors. Volunteers needed to facilitate 1-5 days of coffee. Contact us through saskatooncycles.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 3 – Riverside Badminton and Tennis Club. Bike art show. Bikes will be displayed that have been decorated by students and by SCYAP artists. A bar-b-que and reception will be held. Volunteers are needed to help at the event from 5pm-7pm and with some of the details beforehand.
- March 10 – Winter camping event. We will be riding out to South Corman Park community association (15 km) at 3 pm, staying the night either in quinzhees, tents, or the log house. Baby steps to a winter adventure. We are looking for some events for the evening (musicians, storytellers, quinzhee builder’s, driving a support vehicle).
Local Cycling News
- The latest report from the Saskatoon Police Service’s #GetMyBikeBack initiative is that 1,264 people have registered their bikes online. They are hoping for 10,000 registrations. You can download the SPS Mobile App to record your bike’s serial number and other identifying information!
- Are there issues on your commute? Please contact the City if you have any concerns about the infrastructure that you find on your route. Feedback can be sent to email@example.com
- Did you know you can submit a cycling event for the Saskatoon Cycles website calendar?
- Finally, a little chuckle from Dave Palibroda. Did you see the sign above on 33rd Street?