Saskatoon Cycles News
- We are thrilled to announce that after interviewing a number of highly qualified candidates, we have selected Jennifer Thomas as our new Operations Manager. Through current grants and donations, the job can be funded for about 10 hours/week for a year. It is hoped that further funds will be obtained to continue the position. The primary role of this position will be to enhance our communication strategy, fundraise, and plan events. Welcome, Jennifer!
- The summer Bike Valet contractor has also been hired. We are pleased to report that Felipe Gomez has accepted the role and is looking forward to running the valet and getting to know our wonderful volunteers.
- Ice Cycle 2.0: Thank you to everyone who came out to support our two great winter cycling initiatives.
- Bike Art Show & BBQ – SCYAP and the Let’s Lead program at Westmont did a marvellous job of taking their creative talents into a whole new art form for all to enjoy. Bikes that had been retrieved from the landfill by BCBC were made into amazing objects. Thank you to the City of Saskatoon for supporting our efforts to make winter a wonderful time to get out and enjoy something really special.
- Winter Cycling & Camping Adventure – A group of 17 rode to a lovely log cabin community centre 15 km from Saskatoon in South Corman Park, where we had an amazing meal catered by Karma Cafe, laughs, games, and the option of sleeping indoors or camping outdoors.
Upcoming Events and Volunteer Opportunities
- March 23 – Cycling Shorts is back! Don’t miss out on this fabulous annual event in support of Bridge City Bicycle Co-op. This years’ instalment will take place at the Bike Doctor. Suggested donation is $10
- March 29 – Speaking series sponsored by BCBC and the Bike Doctor. This first event will feature our own Cathy Watts who will speak about her trip to the International Winter Cycling Congress in Moscow last month.
- April 9 – Bike Doctor Detours presents MAMIL: Middle Aged Men In Lycra. Proceeds from the event are being split between the Bike Doctor Detours club and to Pancreatic Cancer Research via the #BeLikeBruce organization. There will also be a mixer following the movie at a location TBD. Get your tickets now.
May 26 – Bike the Moveable Feast in partnership with the Nature City Festival. The theme this year is “We are all connected”. Tickets will be available in early May. Stay tuned for more information.
- LiveableYXE is laying the groundwork for next year’s Open Streets event, where streets are temporarily closed to automobile traffic to favour walking, jogging, bicycling, dancing, yoga, or other social activities. Gil Penalosa does a pretty solid job of capturing the spirit: “People traffic replaces car traffic, and the streets become ‘paved parks’ where people of all ages, abilities, and social, economic, or ethnic backgrounds can come out and improve their mental, physical, and emotional health.” If you are interested in getting involved, please contact Brodie.
Local Cycling News
- Bike Store Day is an annual event to celebrate the culture of the independently owned bicycle store. This year, it is being celebrated on March 24th. Support your local retailers!
#GetMyBikeBack: Please help the Saskatoon Police Service stop the epidemic of bike theft in this city. Register your bike at saskatoonpolice.ca
- Are there issues on your commute? Please contact the City if you have any concerns about the infrastructure that you find on your route. Feedback and/or words of affirmation can be sent to email@example.com
- Did you know you can submit a cycling event for the Saskatoon Cycles website calendar?