Saskatoon Cycles September 2016 Newsletter
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” overlay_opacity=”0.5″ border_style=”solid”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” center_content=”no” last=”no” min_height=”” hover_type=”none” link=””][fusion_text]
Upcoming Events in Saskatoon
- September 8th – Slow Roll at 6 pm – meet at Amigos! And immediately after at 7:30 pm is a Bridge City Bicycle Coop Trivia Night, also at Amigos – $10 to play!
- September 10th – Keep Meewasin Vital Slow Roll – meet at 10 am at the Broadway Roastery and the Slow Roll will take us along the Meewasin Trail ending at the Stone Stage in front of Victoria School where Meewasin will have a short program at 11:15 am
- September 10th – 33rd Annual Broadway Street Fair and Block Party from 10 am to 5 pm with performers, vendors, artists, music and more!
- September 11th – City Park Community Association Cycling Festival – starting off with a Slow Roll at 2 pm at City Park School followed by festivities from 3 pm to 6 pm at 820 9th Avenue North (Wilson Park)
- September 14th – EcoFriendly Sask is turning five! They have given Saskatoon Cycles and other wonderful organizations Action Grants to carry out wonderful work in Saskatoon! The festivities are from 5 pm to 7 pm but make sure your RSVP by September 9th if you intend on attending at firstname.lastname@example.org! – don’t want to run out of birthday cake!
- September 14th – Hike Bike and Roll at the U of S Campus is an annual event that encourages students to choose active transportation options! It’s happening from 10 am to 2 pm between the Thorvaldson and Arts Buildings
- September 18th – Race Against Racism – if you’re heading down to watch, be sure to leave your bike at the Bike Valet and don’t forget to bring a Save non-perishable food items to donate to “Cram the Cruiser” for the Saskatoon Food Bank & Learning Centre
- Saskatoon Cycles needs volunteers for the Bike Valet and Saskatoon Cycles booth at the City Park Community Association Cycling Festival on September 11th – please let us know if you can lend a hand from 2 pm for set-up and from 3 pm to 6 pm during the festivities!
- The Bike Valet will be set up at Race Against Racism on September 18th! This might be your last chance to volunteer this year so let us know if you’d like to help out!
- The Saskatoon Cycles AGM is scheduled for November 16th! If you’d like to help us plan or volunteer at the AGM please contact us!
- We still need to borrow bikes for our fundraising event on September 30th! Please contact Saskatoon Cycles Co-Chair Cathy Watts at email@example.com if you can lend us some bicycles in working condition for the day – to be dropped off at a secure location at the Bessborough Hotel on September 29th.
Local Cycling News
- Make sure you check out LiveableYXE! Saskatoon Cycles is working with some great partner organizations to determine what makes a liveable city! Keep an eye on the website to stay up to date with what they’re working on!
National Cycling News
- A private member’s bill has been put forward to make side guards mandatory on large trucks across Canada for the safety of pedestrians and cyclists. Here’s more information. Please contact your MP and let them know you support this bill!
- This disappointing situation is a reminder that everyone needs to respect one another’s space – and this is a great fresher – How to Drive if You Don’t Want to Kill People
International Cycling News
- The Great Helmet Debate rages on
- Time to start getting crafty with all those spare and worn out bike parts!
- Bike to Work Day was a great success this year! Big thanks to Federated Co-operatives for sponsoring the Saskatoon Cycles commuter station along the 4th Avenue separated bike lane and to all the other wonderful businesses in Saskatoon that sponsored commuter stations around the city! THANK YOU!