Video and expert taken from Street Films Blog artical Bicycle Boulevards for NYC by December 3, 2009 on 10,239 Plays
We’ve seen lots of new, innovative bikeway designs appear on New York City streets over the past few years. But, there’s one very promising concept we haven’t seen – bicycle boulevards. Bicycle boulevard design uses a variety of techniques to create low-traffic, low-speed streets where cyclists mix comfortably with cars. They’re very popular in Portland and Berkeley, two cities with high bicycle mode-share. Here in New York, though, they don’t seem to be part of the playbook yet. In this Streetfilm we ask: Why not?
To read the rest of the article, click here.
Other great links regarding Bike Boulevards are listed below:
- Wikipedia background on Bike Boulevards
- The city of Vancouver has an excellent system of Bike Boulevards; which they call “Bikeways.” Here are great photos with write-up of some Bike Boulevard features:
- This recent CBC Vancouver piece looks into the economics of business along a bikeway (7min audio).
- Some evidence bike boulevards can push property values up by 10-30% here.
- A 95 page Bike Boulevard guidebook.